Social media isn’t as easy as, “If you build it, they will come.” Your tweets are scheduled, your Facebook has a nifty About Me section. You’ve even got some witty status updates, but no one is clicking. If you’re low on followers (or if you seem to be at a stand still), it may be time to rethink your strategy.
Here are 11 of ideas for gaining social media followers.
- Be consistent. Offering consistent content will give your followers an idea of what to expect from your social media accounts. Consistency means regular content and the type of content: keep topics related to you and your business.
- Post at the most popular times. This follows the consistency rule and is just as important. By posting on the most popular days and times (for you), your followers will get a feel for your schedule. Your updates will also reach the most followers and then you will show up in their feeds more often.
- Use hashtags. Hashtags are one of the easiest ways for people to find your posts and, in return, your accounts. Avoid keyword stuffing; don’t overuse hashtags or use any that don’t relate to your content.
- Set goals to stay focused and organized. We covered this tip in our post about social media mistakes to avoid. Having a structured plan will ensure that you stay focused and don’t get off track of what you’re trying to accomplish with your social media accounts.
- Keep usernames consistent across platforms. Are you seeing the “consistency” pattern? Consistent usernames (or at least very similar) will help people to find you on all your accounts. It also prevents confusion with competitors or fake accounts.
- Direct people from your website and newsletter. You’ve probably put a lot of effort into your website and newsletter, so take it one step further and direct your readers to your social media accounts. This way people that are already interested in you can follow you easily.
- Know what your followers want. After some experimenting with content, you will probably get an idea for what your followers like seeing. Helpful articles, fun photos, and information about events can all be interesting content for readers. This will keep your existing followers while gaining new ones.
- Follow others. It’s easy to get wrapped up in what’s going on with your content that you forget to interact with others. But that’s what social media is about! Follow accounts that are interesting and interact with them, just be sure to keep everything professional.
- Be relatable. Social media, while a powerful tool for business, is a casual platform overall. Keep everything professional, but be relatable. People will want to follow someone that they feel they have a connection with or have something in common. Don’t be afraid to show you’re human!
- Have a call to action. This doesn’t need to be on everything you post, but it should be on a least some of them: a call to action. Ask followers what they think. How do they do something? What would they like to see more of?
- Stay positive. It may seem like a small step, but staying positive has proven positive effects on follower engagement.
Rethink your goals. While it’s easy to focus on the number of followers, quality is far more important than quantity. While you’re working to gain more followers, consider whether they are people who may, in turn, become customers.
Finally, one of the best ways to gain new followers is by increasing interaction with existing followers and readers. If they are sharing, “liking”, and loving your social media accounts, then you are likely to see an increase in new followers. Don’t be afraid to put yourself out there! Just make sure you have a good strategy to back it up. Contact us to see how we can develop a social media strategy and content that works for you.
Do you have any tips on how to gain followers that didn’t make the list? Let us know!